Important Elements of Healthy Eating
- Eat whole foods, particularly fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and vegetable proteins
(legumes, nuts, seeds)
- We are what we eat...put only quality food into your body. Reduce refined foods, sugar, excess
fatty and rich foods, and foods with additives or synthetic coloring.
- Drink no more than 4 oz. of liquids with meals, as it can dilute the digestive juices needed
to completely digest your food.
- chew your food thorougly, eat in a relaxed environment, and never eat when you are upset.
- Get sufficient fiber in your diet by eating the majority of your foods from item #1 above and
/or by taking additional psyllium husk and flaxseed meal.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily, plus herbal teas.
- Use nutritional supplements and herbs as appropriate. Supplement your digestive function as needed
with hydrochloric acid, (Lemon juice mixed with a little water)digestive enzymes, and pancreatic products.
- Moderate your use of alcohol, caffeine and nicotine. Beware of excessive use of prescription,
OTC, and never use recreational drugs.
- Exercise....If you don't yet have an exercise program, set one up. Do it regularly and with the
right combination of activities that will provide strength, flexibility, endurance and enjoyment.
- Maintain regular elimination. Your diet, exercise and stress levels should allow your bowels
to move at least once or twice daily. After illness or anitbiotic use, replace friendly GI flora by taking probiotics (acidophilus
and other positive digestive bacteria). If this is not sufficient to restore normal digestion and elimination, and your GI
function stays irregular for more that a few weeks, seek the advice of a health-care practitioner.
(from the book "The Detox Diet")